Tuesday, September 18, 2007

34:44 (approx)

Lots of running, lots of walking, and lots of muscles I haven't used in a long long time are now quite angry with me!

I expected to run my 5km in 38:00 minutes because my training runs were usually just under 40:00 minutes and I figured I might be able to shave off a little with the adrenaline going.

I guess the 34:44 is because of the adrenaline, and the little kids on the side of the road yelling, "Vas-y, t'est capable!" and I didn't want them to think I was giving up.

I think you're supposed to stop to drink the little bit of water in the little cup that you pick up as you run by the water stations. I shunned that idea and instead grabbed my water, kept running, and promptly got water up my nose as I tried to drink it. Somewhat unpleasant, but it *did* make me run faster to get away from the likely snickering people who would have seen it happen!

All in all a difficult but fun experience. I would love to be able to run the 5km actually running the entire time. My race seemed to mostly be running fast, walking, running fast, walking, etc.
I didn't have a normal pace.

I'll learn!

4 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you! Congrats!
It might be an idea to take it down to a brisk walk while drinking the water. A friend of mine used to take a few sips and dump the rest on his head.
:)

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mercenaria said...

walker->

Thanks! Brisk walk while drinking sounds like the intelligent way to do it. I probably wasn't hot enough to dump the rest on my head though, and seriously, in training runs I don't even bring water! I guess I was just curious about how I was going to manage it!

 
At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For anything under 15km I didn't bring water, but that may have to change in my old age. One of my old teachers who was a marathoner used to drive around his route the night before and leave water in covered coffee tins under bushes.

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Mercenaria said...

ror->

LOL - that's just crazy! Before I go that far I would carry a camel pak on my back. It would slow me down but at least I could have the water whenever I wanted!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home